Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Call!!!

I can't believe I'm writing this post!

A few days after I heard back from my editor with her advice and revisions for Chapters 7-9 of the WIP, I pick the small one up from preschool. I eject Dave the puppy into the garden for a pee break where he stands shivering in the rain. Then I casually check my inbox, only to find another email from my editor. Am I about for a phone call, she asks. I assume she's had another thought about the revisions and wants to talk them over with me, so I mail back to tell her I'm around for the rest of the day. A few minutes later she calls.

I only remember bits and pieces of the conversation. While we were speaking the small one opened the door and let Dave in, whereupon he immediately peed on my kitchen floor, and I still felt nothing but euphoria!

 Mills and Boon RIVA want to buy my book!!

 It turns out that after sending me the revisions for Chapters 1-9, my editor (who I really can call my editor now, hurrah!) sent the chapters on to the Senior Editor for the line, and she liked them enough to make me an offer! My celebrations are only just under way because I've sat on my news for a few days. Mainly because they wanted me to finish the book very quickly as they have earmarked it for a publication slot in December. That meant completing the revisions and writing the end in a very tight timeframe for my normal ability.

 I managed not to have a meltdown. Instead my lovely family have said nothing as I've allowed the house to revert to pigsty while I fiddle with the laptop at all hours. And I have told myself that if I can do this in the time required then I can do anything they might throw at me in the future. Today I have emailed over my full ms and signed my contract, and now I can finally relax and celebrate. I know there are likely to be more revisions, but the bulk of the work is hopefully done. I am so happy and excited I cannot begin to tell you!

Huge thanks to everyone who has offered me support and friendship since New Voices. Also for advice that's really helped, thanks to Scarlet Wilson, Maisey Yates and especially to Liz Fielding, who has kept in touch since NV offering me support and encouragement, and has never minded my mad questions.

Right, now I've pressed SEND, I'm off to clean the hovel house!

62 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lacey! I am still pinching myself!

      Delete
  2. Oh Charlotte - I feel like crying, I really do! There are not enough superlatives for me to say how happy I am for you.
    Roll on December, where I shall be stalking my supermarket for your book.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle, and for all the support since NV. I was so thrilled with your news too! Xxx

      Delete
  3. how wonderful congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very very happy for you! And, even better, we're going to be shelf buddies in December!

    In the meantime I'll see you in September. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for everything! I will be honoured to be shelf buddies with you! :0)

      Delete
  5. Cannot wait to read it - congratulations on your much deserved success xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks loads for all your support since NV, I really appreciate it xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh Charlotte, that's terrific news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome news!!! Huge congrats. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlotte, this is such wonderful news! I'm so very happy for you!! And a December publication date--wow! Fantastic. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! Thanks loads! I'm looking forward to getting my paws on The Seven-Day Target. X

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Charlotte.
    I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've just made me cry! So, so happy for you, can't wait to read your book!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it wasn't for your 1k a day rule I'd still be writing the darned thing!! :0)

      Delete
  11. Congrats, Charlotte!! This is fabulous news!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Charlotte - fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for you, Charlotte. Many congratulations! Looking forward to reading your book. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks so much for all your support! Hope new puppy is behaving x

      Delete
  14. Big congrats, Charlotte!! I knew you could do it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maisey! Thank you! And for all your advice on avoiding meltdown, I'm really grateful xx

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, Charlotte, that's amazing news! I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to read your book. Lizzie/Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill! Thanks loads! Hope Mince Pies is coming along x

      Delete
  16. Fantastic news Charlotte, I remember saying to Liz at the M&B drinks last september how much I enjoyed your NV entry, can't wait to read the rest of it!!!

    And welcome to the pigpen, sorry I meant to say the RIVA authors club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Thank you! It's a different story to my NV entry but maybe I will resurrect that one again one day.

      I am beyond thrilled to join the pigpen, fits in well with the current state of my house!

      Delete
  17. Huge, huge congrats!!! And just a wonderful call story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. congratulations Charolotte! I remember your New Voices entry well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Thank you! NV was a brilliant experience, hopefully they will run it again this year.

      Delete
  19. Am I allowed to get teary? I'm so chuffed for you, Charlotte. What a journey it's been since New Voices. I am sure this is the start of many great things to come and so deserved. Hugs, Linds xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linds! It has been a fantastic journey, thanks so much for your friendship and support. I look forward to seeing you published before long xx

      Delete
  20. Congratulations, Charlotte! Welcome to the RIVA family!

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! Thanks so much! I'm forever stalking your craft posts, can't believe you've commented on my blog!

      Delete
  21. Woo Hoo!

    You must be so delighted and chuffed to bits! As I said on the facebook loop, Liz must be feeling like she's given birth.

    WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you! I am so delighted! Hopefully it wasn't too painful an experience for Liz!

      Delete
  22. Congratulations! So happy and excited for you. Can't wait to read your book now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay Charlotte! I'm super excited for you! I too will be stalking the supermarket for your book ;o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee! I remember you from NV. Thanks so much x

      Delete
  24. Congratulations, Charlotte! That is such fantastic news and has put a really big smile on my face. This year just seems to get better with so many new sales to HMB. I hope you have many, many more wonderful moments like this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Romy! Thanks for such a lovely comment, I don't think I've stopped smiling yet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Charlotte - that's wonderful news. I hope that this acceptance is the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kate. Your Twelve Point Guide was the first craft book I bought and I still use itt all the time :0)

      Delete
  27. PS: We'd really love to have you in the Author Spotlight on the Minxes blog. Please drop me a line sometime after you get back down to earth to set something up. You can contact me on romy @ romancewriters.co.za.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely love to be on the Minxes blog! Will get in touch soon when I know more about dates, titles etc.

      Delete
  28. Wonderful news congratulations and well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Forgive my delay! So excited for you, Charlotte! You must still be floating:-)Enjoy every second of it!

    ReplyDelete