Tuesday 14 August 2012

Unexpected Happy News!

I received a set of revisions this week on the first three chapters of 'The Date Pool'. Not too bad thankfully, and as usual all the suggestions are wish-I'd-thought-of-that brilliant. I know they will make the story much stronger. I've already started on them and hope to get them out of the way this week, then I move on to writing chapters 4-6 and submit to my editor again at the half-way point.

I wanted to discuss one of the revision points before I got stuck in and emailed my editor to let her know, so when I got a phone call from her later in the day I naturally expected it to be about that. I was absolutely floored when instead she offered to buy my very first MS, the one I submitted via slush back in summer 2010, which went through two rounds of revisions under her supervision and was eventually rejected.

I am thrilled to announce that 'The Proposal Plan' (as I called it, the name may yet be changed) will be published by Mills & Boon RIVA in the UK only, in Spring of 2013!

Following the relaunch of RIVA in the UK and the introduction of the KISS line in North America, the intention is that titles will be simultaneously released in both lines from the middle of next year. In order to line the releases up in this way, there will be a short period early next year where a slot is available for a UK-only release. 'The Proposal Plan' will take up one of these slots.

I am absolutely over the moon that this story - which really was my baby - will finally see the light of day. I started it twenty-odd years ago, stuck it in the wardrobe when life and kids took over and only finished it when I stopped work to have the small one. With the encouragement of DH I finished it and sent it off, thinking that it might be rubbish but at least it wouldn't be rubbish cluttering up my cupboard anymore. The revisions were tough. The final third of the book was total cliche *toes curl as I remember*, and had to be completely rewritten, I had to cut one of the characters out and there were some major scene changes. But I loved the end result and I was so disappointed when it was rejected. I always hoped if I got published that I might be able to rework it one day and get it out there. I just didn't expect it to be anytime in this decade!

I am waiting to hear about the title and release details, and in the meantime I am cracking on with 'The Date Pool' with renewed enthusiasm.

So my message of the week is: never give up hope on those rejected MS's. They might make it out there one day!


15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to the new RIVA titles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too! Not long to wait now. :0)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Charlotte! Can't wait to read these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy! Thanks loads. I've got my fingers crossed for your full request ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congrats! That's SUCH fab news, Charlotte - you lucky duck. ;-) And good luck on your next set of chapters for The Date Pool. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hun! Thanks loads! I'm so thrilled for you too with all your recent progress. Looking forward to an update soon. xxx

      Delete
  5. What totally fabulous news, Charlotte! So thrilled for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Liz! Remember when you told me to hang on to my old manuscripts? You were so right! Thanks for dropping by. :0)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Charlotte. Brilliant news. Can't wait to read your books! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never thought that story would see daylight for years. I'm so pleased. Thanks for dropping in!x

      Delete
  7. Fantastic news Charlotte!! Now thats what you call a happy surprise. Can't wait to read ALL of your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Charlotte, I'm rather late in giving my congratulations to you, I've been out of the country for a while and away from social media.

    Huge congratulations on selling your first book as well. It just goes to show, it's worth hanging on to everything you write. Tastes and trends change so much and you were obviously ahead of the game with your first submission :)

    x Christy x

    ReplyDelete