Wednesday 1 August 2012

Loveable Heroines

I thought I'd post this week about heroines, since I am up to my ears in my new MS and (as is usual for me) my heroine, Alice, feels like my best mate and is hogging the story and my hero, the gorgeous Harry, feels a bit of an enigma to me. I have just submitted my partial of the story to my editor and I know the revisions she comes back with will relate to him.

My favourite heroines have always been quirky, funny and loveable and they are exactly the kind I like to write now. I remember watching a romantic comedy while I was at university and wishing I was the heroine, or failing that her best friend. In fact, I think my love of romantic comedy stems from that film even though it wasn't mainstream.

What film was this? I hear you ask.


In the early 1990s Rik Mayall did a series of three hour-long shows for ITV, called Rik Mayall Presents... and one of these was a romantic comedy called 'Dancing Queen'. Rik starred as Neil, a spoilt yuppy whose mates play a stag night prank on him. First they hire a stripper and ply him with alcohol, and then they steal his trousers and stick him on a train. He wakes up on his way to Scarborough with the stripper, Julie, sitting opposite him.

Julie was played by Helena Bonham Carter, totally against her usual type, and she is absolutely adorable.

The music is wonderful - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel singing 'Come Up and See Me' as Neil runs trouserless around Scarborough clutching an alarm clock trying to work out how to get back to London in time for his wedding. And in the final scene Julie is twirling an umbrella about as she dances to ABBA on the beach and Neil speeds across the sand to find her   in his BMW.

Rik Mayall is surprisingly perfect as the hero. But Helena Bonham-Carter's Northerner Julie steals the show as she talks about her conflict ('I were too young, he were too fat') and asks about Neil's wedding ('What's your fiancee's name? Sophie? That's a pretty name. Julie's horrible. Makes you think of Julie Andrews.'). I don't think I've ever rooted for someone more.

Unfortunately I think the only way you can watch this now is on YouTube, but if you ever get the chance to see it, I can't recommend it highly enough. Very much in the mould of Four Weddings and a Funeral, the sheer delicious happy-ever-afterness of it is fabulous.

Anyone else remember it? And is there a film or story that really fed your love of romance or a hero/heroine that you really love?

I am off to get to know my hero a bit better.




8 comments:

  1. I love 'You've Got Mail' with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks and not only because it involves books! I like Meg Ryans quirkiness as the heroine, it makes her easy to relate to. She's not perfect; she has insecurities, and yet she still gets her HEA when hate turns to love aah!
    Good luck with the partial, sure Harry will soon be your new best friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey! Thanks for reading! I also love 'You've Got Mail'. Meg Ryan was just lovely as a heroine in all her romantic comedies I think. There is something about her quirkiness that worked brilliantly, and a flawed heroine is always easier to root for. I will keep you posted on the partial! X

      Delete
  2. I DO remember this! I adore Rik Mayall (used to have a massive crush on him) and love pretty much everything he's in. I also want to be Helena Bonham Carter. Sigh. This post has made my day! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rik was gorgeous in this. That bit when he kisses her through the glass...sigh. Couldn't bear to watch him in 'Bottom' though, it was so revolting lol! Really glad you like the post xx

      Delete
  3. I never saw the Rik Mayall comedy, but I wish I had. It sounds right up my street. My favourite heroine is Reese Witherspoon's character in Legally Blonde. She's dismissed by all as a shallow blonde airhead, but she proves to everyone, including herself, that she can achieve anything she puts her mind to. One for blondes everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Elle Woods! You are so right, I loved her too, and my 13 year old adored those films, she even wanted a chihuahua. You can watch Rik Mayall presents in 6 parts on YouTube - not the easiest way to watch something but if you're ever stuck in a lift with your iPad or laptop I can't recommend it more! :0)

      Delete
  4. I once saw Charlotte Cornwell (much loved as Daisy in Keeping Up Appearances) play a woman written off by her family finding love with a younger man. Wish I could remember what it was called - it was a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how these things stay with you. I was 19 when I watched Rik Mayall. I've never forgotten it. Thanks for dropping by! :0)

      Delete